Thursday, May 27, 2010

Florence

Our last two days in Florence (April 5th and 6th) were quite lovely especially because we had a real hostel complete with heater and the weather itself was gorgeous. We walked around Florence, hitting up what Amelia, who'd lived there last summer, had advised us to. (I was jealous she got to live in Florence before and now after being there I'm even more so! It really is a fantastic, beautiful city.)

Some of the things we saw...
Great view of Florence near the Boboli Gardens and our first hostel


The river running through Florence


The Dome


Lots of street markets


We tried to get into the Uffizi Museum, but showed up too late. So we got over our disappointment with gelato.


We also saw Michaelangelo's David statue, who was a lot bigger than I thought he would be! I don't have any photos of David though because we weren't allowed to take photos inside the museum he was in.

The food we had in Florence was also unbelievably wonderful. Eating in Italy is generally good anyway, but we had some uncommonly good luck at finding great places to eat (though there was one not-so-good incident where I accidentally ordered a cola and was charged 7 euro for it! Argh!). I had the best tiramisu gelato I've ever tasted in Florence. It even had chunks of cake in it. Yum! For our last dinner in Florence, Michelle and I found this sort of hole-in-the-wall restaurant hidden off one of the main roads. Michelle and I ordered bruchetta, gnocchi and tortellini followed with tiramisu and damn. It was hands down the best dinner we had during our travels (and we had some pretty good ones).

The next day we were off to Montpellier, which was our pit stop in the south of France as we made our way to Sevilla in Spain.

No comments:

Post a Comment